Monday, August 3, 2009

What to do when things go bad!

The last six months have been the worst of my life in a financial sense. I have lived through the terrifying prospect of filing bankrupt and even when I accepted the fact that I might have to file bankruptcy, it didn’t have the effect on me that you would think it would. I was relatively calm about the ordeal as it just seemed too far out of my hands. One thing that I did have a realisation on was that bankruptcy, although wasn’t going to be a fun thing to go through, really wasn’t the end of the world. It was to be a step back, but it wasn’t going to kill me so I just needed to get on with life and that is precisely what I did. In the end I didn’t go bankrupt and a few months on I am starting to recover financially; I personally faced the worst case financial scenario, and I recovered. Nothing much scares me now.
The financial issues I faced was due to loss of daily income from my employer who quite simply didn’t pay me throughout the whole time I was employed by them (approximately 4-5 months); I continually gave them the benefit of the doubt and brought into the excuses they continued to make and as it turned out, it bit me severely in the arse! In the meantime I had mortgages, personal loans, car loans, rent and food to pay for and with NO income, this was rather difficult as you can imagine. Also emotionally I was a wreck and pretty highly strung due to the constant phone calls from creditors. All I really wanted to do was bury my head in the sand and not look up until the coast was well and truly clear.
The coast wasn’t going to clear on its own, so from my experience if you are in a financially tight or unstable position, step up and TALK TO YOUR CREDITORS, they want to help you, they need to know what is going on, they are actually bound by the Credit Contracts Act to consider helping you if they can. The person on the other end of the phone is human too. Just explain your situation, advise you are not abandoning your debt but you need some help. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, people generally are willing to help if asked.
So in summary – I have two offerings of advice if you find your financial situation is getting out of control:
  1. If you choose bankruptcy – it won’t kill you. Don’t panic, just go through the steps and get on with life. Of course research this; It is not necessarily the easy way out by any means!
  2. Talk to your creditors – they must be kept in the know.

No comments: